Confirmation class is a 2 year study completed sometime between the 7th and 9th grades. “Here We Stand” is the study guide used. Its title is from Martin Luther’s famous speech during his heresy trial at the Diet of Worms in 1521 where he declared “I cannot and will not retract anything . . . . . here I stand, may God help me”.
One year concentrates on the teachings in Martin Luther’s “Small Catechism”. Study topics include:
· 10 Commandants,
· Lord’s Prayer,
· Apostle’s Creed,
· Sacraments of baptism and communion, and
· basics of Lutheran doctrine and theology.
The other year is a year of Bible study where the major characters, events and themes of both the Old and New Testaments are discussed. Study topics include
· prehistory and patriarchs from the Book of Genesis,
· Moses and the Exodus,
· King David and the creation/destruction of the nation of Israel,
· messages of the Old Testament prophets,
· Jesus’ birth, early life, ministry, and his teachings through parables,
· Holy Week and Easter, and
· Pentecost and the start of the Church.